<VV> Re: STEERING SHAFT SPEAR?

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Wed Dec 7 16:08:49 EST 2005

if you want to see steering shaft spears , look at the vw beetle. the gearbox
was ahead of the axle. i saw a lot of them that had killed people way back
when, just walking around junkyards.  now for the corvair, the box  not so
forward , so it takes a lot more to push that shaft out far enough to getcha.  i
bought a nice coupe for parts that had hit a bridge abutment at high speed (they
think over 50mph) and the guy hurt his nose somehow. a dead stop impact at
any speed over 30 is really a lot. i hit a car at 40 mph broadside with an olds
98 back in 1974 and it was devastating. i still have issues dealing with
it(bad back! plus).  the engine came back into the passenger compartment close
enough for me to touch the distributor. the car that pulled in front of me was a
full new chevy and it was bent in half. i diont think i would have bneen any
worse off if i was in my 64 convert which was parked less than a block away.
think about it when you see these high speed crashes!  somebody is going to
suffer the rest of thier life.
regards, tim colson