<VV> starter woes

Chuck Kubin dreamwoodck at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 7 18:41:39 EST 2005

If you go through all the trouble of removing the starter and replacing the Bendix, change the brushes, bearings and solenoid contacts as well. If your armature is in good shape, and from the sound of your problem it probably is, you've just rebuilt your starter. It is a pretty easy job.
  I haven't done one in awhile, but I remember the cost of doing your own rebuild being pretty favorable. And since the parts aren't unquely Corvair, they should be easy to find.  Vendors also have all you need.

  Chuck Kubin

Jim McLott <Jim.McLott at DOR.GA.GOV> wrote:
  Doug,

There's an overrunning clutch on the starter solenoid that will cause this problem when it goes bad. Christine had the same problem. If I had to crank the engine for more than about ten seconds, the starter would continue to spin but it was no longer engaged. If I waited a few seconds and tried again, the starter would again engage, but only for a few seconds. I would have to repeat this procedure until the engine finally started. My solution was to replace the entire starter with a rebuilt one and this cured the problem. I still have the old starter and one of theses days when I've run out of things to do on Christine (don't laugh, it could happen), I'm going to take the old starter apart and see if I can fix it. I'm told it's a relatively easy repair. Someday I hope to find out if that's true.

Jim McLott & Christine, the 1966 Monza convertible she-devil
Member: CORSA, Corvair Atlanta and Group Red (Ret.)

http://www.wittelaw.com/personal/groupred/mclott.htm