<VV> Re: STEERING SHAFT SPEAR?

Arjay Morgan n3lkz at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 8 01:30:30 EST 2005

  All the talk recently about Corvair crashworthiness prompts me to tell the all-time Corvair survivable wreck story. It even made the local papers way back then.

  Seems I was coming home one dark, slippery, December night after attending two Christmas parties and a wedding reception. Blitzed is putting it mildly, but those were less DWI days.

  I missed my turn, tore through a set of cable guard wires, sailed above 40 feet of Toby's Creek, struck the side of a bridge spanning said creek then dropped 20 feet down into the creek, landing on all four wheels. The car was a late model Monza convertable, gray with a blue interior.

  When the clanging stopped I opened the car door, waded through the creek, scrambled up the bank and made it to my apartment; taking to my bed. Next morning I was awakened by a gaggle of cops on my doorstep. I answered the door with my pillow stuck to my head -- blood you see. "Yes officer, I do think that it is my car in the creek. No sir, I haven't any idea how it got there, but the roads were a tad slippery that night."

  Cops took me to the hospital which cleaned up the cuts and then discharged me to the lobby, where I sat until a buddy came and got me. Car suffered substantial damage and I never saw it again, but I was convinced that were it a hardtop things would have been much worse since the post mortems revealed my head had split the ragtop.

  Had a really tough time explaining the picture of my car in the creek which appeared in Sunday's newspaper. I was charged with littering a waterway.

  Arjay Morgan -- sadder but wiser
  64 Monza convert -- creekless