<VV> Re: STEERING SHAFT SPEAR?

Arjay Morgan n3lkz at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 8 11:33:12 EST 2005

God truly watches over drunks and fools, and in this instance I was both.

Amazingly, the tow truck did more damage to the car pulling it out than did

the accident. Actually, the accident fatally wounded the car and the towtruck

finished the job.

Arjay

RJ... You tell a hell of a story.  Since you were here to tell it, I   figured   the outcome had to be reasonably OK.    Attachments (if any) are scanned with anti-virus software.    Later, JR    ----- Original Message -----   From: "Arjay Morgan" <n3lkz at yahoo.com>  To: <virtualvairs at corvair.org>  Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2005 12:30 AM  Subject: <VV> Re: STEERING SHAFT SPEAR?      >  >  All the talk recently about Corvair crashworthiness prompts me to   tell   > the all-time Corvair survivable wreck story. It even made the local   papers   > way back then.  >  >  Seems I was coming home one dark, slippery, December night after   > attending two Christmas parties and a wedding reception. Blitzed is   > putting it mildly, but those were less DWI days.  >  >  I missed my turn, tore through a set of cable guard wires, sailed   above   > 40 feet of Toby's Creek, struck the side of a bridge spanning said   creek   > then dropped 20 feet down into the creek, landing on all four wheels.
  The   > car was a late model Monza convertable, gray with a blue interior.  >  >  When the clanging stopped I opened the car door, waded through the   creek,   > scrambled up the bank and made it to my apartment; taking to my bed.   Next   > morning I was awakened by a gaggle of cops on my doorstep. I answered   the   > door with my pillow stuck to my head -- blood you see. "Yes officer,   I do   > think that it is my car in the creek. No sir, I haven't any idea how   it   > got there, but the roads were a tad slippery that night."  >  >  Cops took me to the hospital which cleaned up the cuts and then   > discharged me to the lobby, where I sat until a buddy came and got   me. Car   > suffered substantial damage and I never saw it again, but I was   convinced   > that were it a hardtop things would have been much worse since the   post   > mortems revealed my head had split the ragtop.  >  >  Had a really tough time explaining the picture of my car in the   creek   > which appeared
 in Sunday's newspaper. I was charged with littering a   > waterway.  >  >  Arjay Morgan -- sadder but wiser  >  64 Monza convert -- creekless