A rolling time warp; was Re: <VV> Purchased an NOS Corvair Delco Model 556 Battery

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicspdi.com
Thu Dec 8 12:21:34 EST 2005

Hmmmm -- another sick puppy.  I do the same thing including an NOS
battery.  Works fine.

At 07:58 AM 12/8/2005, you wrote:
>hehe...
>
>My plan is to use it and when it finally dies, I'll drain it, clean it out
>on the inside with baking soda and use it for show.
>
>Somehow... I just cannot resist restoring this car back to original and then
>driving the heck out of it.  I'm just not the type to restore a car and then
>make it a garage/show queen.  Whether it be using an NOS battery or driving
>a fully restored car knowing it will get rock chips and things will wear
>out; it is all the same.
>
>I get an intense amount of pleasure driving my 64 Spyder Convertible and
>listening to folks who make comments almost everywhere I stop.  From the
>old-timer who remembers having a Corvair to the teenager who thinks my
>Corvair is a Mercedes.  Driving a Corvair is a great way to meet people.
>Stirring memories in people who grew up with Corvairs is the absolute
>best... watching smiles creep over their faces as they walk around my car...
>listening to their memories and knowing that they haven't thought about such
>things for a LONG time.
>
>My Corvair is a rolling time-warp... and it takes people back to a time when
>things were simpler... life was easier... and helps them dust off the
>cobwebs from things long since forgotten.
>
>But driving and using a fully restored Corvair (or any Corvair for that
>matter) isn't just about reactions from other people... it's about taking me
>back to a simpler time.  When I drive my Corvair and I listen to the AM
>radio... I travel back in time myself.  I am for the duration of the trip,
>in another time... I focus on the sounds of the car, the simplicity.  My
>Corvair simply does not allow the pressures of modern life to invade It's
>interior.  I only drive it once or twice a week... but it is ALWAYS a treat.
>
>I understand that there is a place for 100 point show cars.  I understand
>that those who work to make a car perfect want to keep it that way by never
>driving it... for me... it is unthinkable.  Perhaps if I had two Corvairs...
>one for show and one to drive... but I'm a single Corvair guy... its kind of
>like a marriage... I can't cheat on my Corvair by getting another one :)
>
>I'll drive my Corvair and it will be as close as possible to the way it
>rolled off the assembly line in July of 1964.  When things wear out... I'll
>fix them... fixing my Corvair is as much therapy for me as driving it is.
>
>Today... when I drive my Corvair to work... it will be running on a factory
>battery (assuming it still works <grin>).  If the battery only lasts a
>year... so be it... I will have driven my Corvair for a year with the
>correct battery in it :)
>
>Well... I'm off to my time machine... 1964 here I come.
>
>Joe West
>

>On 12/8/05 7:21 AM, "Shaun" <shaun_mcgarvey at shaw.ca> wrote:
>
> > Joe, for goodness' sakes don't USE an NOS battery! Use a Honda
> Civic battery
> [...]

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax
(800) 569-1122          Denver Office (I am never there, you can
leave a message)

928-301-7537 -- you may call any time day or night, I turn it off
when I sleep :-)  Please try to use a land line first (reception often poor).

http://www.vicspdi.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new
pictures!  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/index.html

NEW Corvair pictures including the Judson setup on our 62 Sedan and
lots of pictures of Cheryl's 62 Monza Wagon (with Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels).

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/corvairs.html