<VV> Steering Shaft -Human spear

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Thu Dec 8 13:29:18 EST 2005

***********

I suppose we could take the approach that "we all gotta go sometime" but not
all of like to drive modern cars all the time.  I don't think it out of line
to make the old Corvair as safe as possible without going over board.

And, what's so "unrealistic" about installing a crumby seat belt .... and using
 it? I don't think anybody is saying we should run out and install air bags and
 roll cages in the cars......

Van

I put rear lap belts in my car and it already had the front lap belts and I use the belts whenever I drive the car.  JR sent me an installation diagram for shoulder belts on a convertible but it is for a 1969 and I don't know if the mounting points even exist on my 1965.  They also mount down low so the belt would come up and over your shoulder - not across your shoulder like a modern belt.  I agree, make our old cars as safe as possible but you have to be reasonable.  I'm not putting in other cars' seats or anything in mine.  I keep the car in good condition so everything works.  The biggest safety tip is to keep from getting a loose nut behind the wheel.  I'm not 100% on that one but I try.

mike