<VV> Shoulder belts

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Thu Dec 8 18:46:15 EST 2005

Here's how I've done them in various cars...

69 Convert: I got an NOS set.  They're a pain since they don't retract or
reel-out and require two belts and buckles per side.  I think alll LM
convertibles have the mounts (and probably EMs too)  'cause, as I recall from 20 year
ago, they attach to the folding top hinge inside the rear quarter trim area.  It
wouldn't take a magician to install an inertia-reel back there and make this a
nice (invisible) conversion.

63 GB:  I installed '74 Capri shoulder belts.  These have a simple reel that
I attached to the base of the door pillar and a guide that installed near the
top of the door pillar.  I put a large Stainless steel bolt from the outside
body through to the inside to support the guide.  (sounds terrible, looked
pretty OK, functioned well).  The inboard side was really neat since the Capri had
a 15" long, covered flexible cable that bolted to the floor.  The cable had
"memory" so you just bent it where you wanted it and it stayed there.

67 Sedan:  I got roof-mounted belts from a mid-70s Monte Carlo (Nova, Vega,
Monza had 'em too) and made a bracket from the roof rail to support the
retractor.  These are nice since there's almost no room for a retractor at the base
of the seat. One drawback: since this car is a 4dr anyone entering the rear
seat has to watch their head.

Never tried one but... Third generation Corvettes had the retractor under the
seat and guides carried the belt out to the outboard side of the seat.
and, I just got a Jeep accessory catalog that has nice looking "universal"
retractable shoulder belts for $70.  I kept the page for future reference.
C. Nicol