<VV>Budget wheels

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Fri Dec 9 12:14:13 EST 2005

In a message dated 12/9/2005 8:45:26 AM Pacific Standard Time, pp2 at 6007.us
writes:

4.75" is sometimes referred to as 120mm. Much easier even if you  could go
to 14" as many Firebirds and Grand Prixs of the 70's had 14x7  wheels with
the right backspacing and bolt pattern. Just watch out for the  later ones
that used extended hubs and a FWD backspacing.

Padgett

Although some people have bolted the BMW wheels (120mm pattern) onto the
Chevy/GM studs. (120.65mm - 4.75in). Nobody in the engineering world recommends
it. The bending of the studs that this causes, could result in failure -
especially important if he is going to race the car. Would it work? Probably,
Would I recommend it? No. With Aluminum wheels, the bolt pattern can be slightly
altered to duplicate the Chevy pattern. I just had 12 BMW  aftermarket wheels
re-done ($12.50 each, including new tapered seal  inserts)  for use on my
Corsa track car. It would be hard to do this  alteration with Steel wheels, but
there are hardly any 5-bolt Steel wheels for  the BMWs anyway, the 5-series is
a more premium line, and always  has aluminum wheels. The German TUV required
tapered seats, as I  recall. There are so many  14" GM wheels around, usually
at lower  prices than the BMW wheels, there is no need to look at the BMWs.
Check out  Camaros as well. If you are at 15" or 16", then many more BMW wheels
are around.  I found mine really cheap. - Seth Emerson