<VV>The Right Wheel

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sat Dec 10 21:55:46 EST 2005

After a number of fits and starts I have now found the ideal steering wheel
for a Corvair, the Grant 1760 (also all black as the 1770).
http://padgett.ws/files/1760.jpg

For me the diameter (15") is just right (13.5" was definitely too small)
and the 2" spacer makes the 1" dish the right distance from my chest (and
could be spaced out a bit more if necessary). The good news is that the
1760 is often available NIB on e-Bay for under $70 including shipping
(three on there right now), I missed a few before finding one for the
opening price. You will need an adapter and the horn contact that has about
a 3" wire coming out is best though could use the regular horn plate and
extension wire.

I found the #2 mount cover to be the best, it overlaps the turn signal
assembly cover slightly but does not touch it. The #3 cover is the same
diameter but about a 1/4 inch too deep - it hits the column cover.

Hard part is finding a 10022 hub mount (64-66 Corvair but if all else fails
the kit is available from Clark's. I do not know which horn contact and
which cover are included. If you would rather trade time for money, the hub
can be extracted from a junk stock wheel and  use an adapter kit that has
the right horn contact and cover.

Makes the stock steering feel a lot nicer to me.

Padgett