A rolling time warp; was Re: <VV> Purchased an NOS Corvair Delco Model 556 Battery

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Sun Dec 11 19:45:24 EST 2005

At 06:58 hours 12/08/2005, Joe West wrote:
>hehe...
>
>My plan is to use it and when it finally dies, I'll drain it, clean it out
>on the inside with baking soda and use it for show.

I've seen people in another marque organization take an old
(defective but cosmetically good) original factory supplied battery
and gut it, leaving only the empty case, not even posts/terminals,
and fit another slightly smaller but similarly configured battery
inside, with its posts sticking up through the original battery
case.   It took a little finagling but somebody did this with a new
slightly smaller battery with the posts in the same spots, or close
enough at least to fit through the holes in the old battery case
where the original posts were located.   With a couple of those red
and green felt "absorbent disks" under the posts to hide a slightly
elongated hole, no body's the wiser.

Either way, the "battery" started the car while looking just like the
original which was long since a distant memory.   The one I saw was
so nicely done I found it hard to believe it wasn't one of those
megabucks reproduction show car batteries... until the guy showed me
by popping off one of the filler caps which showed a warranty label
underneath, on the top of the modern battery hidden under the old case.

Obviously it goes without saying that doing something like this with
a type 53 or other early Vair battery is not gonna be so easy unless
you perhaps wire up something like a booster/jumper battery from one
of those emergency starter packs into an existing cosmetically good
but long since expired and gutted early Vair Delco battery.   A labor
of love, no doubt.

Now, an ancient late model Delco battery could be tricked up in such
a manner without much trouble... or at least not as much trouble as
doing an early battery.

tony..