A rolling time warp; was Re: <VV> Purchased an NOS Corvair Delco Model 556 Battery

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Dec 12 18:25:59 EST 2005

At 11:17 hours 12/12/2005, Bryan Blackwell wrote:
>Use a type 51.  Positive post out the hole where the original goes,
>a copper buss bar to connect the negative post to the post out the
>top of the case.  Could easily pass a casual inspection.
>
>--Bryan

Thought about that.   The 51 remains kinda wide though.   The 53 was
really a narrow battery which would have some issues hiding a 51
inside its housing... but a late Vair original Delco tar-top wouldn't.

The early Vair battery case *will* hide one of those high current
"booster" batteries that can easily start a Vair, no problems, would
work nicely for shows etc, for that last N'th degree concourse
point...  ;)   ...which could well happen; I recall another show
somewhere with two '60s vintage Chevys (Camaros I think) that tied in
their class, resulting in a "judge-off"...  the car still fitted with
its original style T3 headlights got the nod.

An early Vair sporting a functional stock appearing type 53 Delco
battery could garner some extra attention, I bet.    And unless
somebody removed it to see the hole in the bottom where the poser
battery was fitted, nobody would know the difference.

...my early stuff uses 51s; concourse for them is a distant fantasy.   ;)

tony..