Fwd: <VV> Piston weights

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Dec 12 18:46:23 EST 2005

At 12:38 hours 12/12/2005, Geoffrey A Johnson wrote:
>Bob,
>Yes, this is how GM did it.  I have seen 6 gram spread in stock
>engines. Usually I have ballanced to 1 gram all the way across, but
>that takes a fair amount of work, and metal removal.  Balancing
>opposing pairs (1-2, 3-4, 5-6)  will be just fine.
>HTH
>-Geoff Johnson

There's no reason *not* to do it this way.   No opposing pair of
rods/pistons has any effect on the other two pairs of pistons/rods;
makes sense to "mix & match" the lot of rods/pistons into the closest
opposing pairs and then fine-tune match the pairs, rather than try to
make *all* the rods/pistons weigh the same.

tony..