<VV> Another Greenbrier back on the road-with issues

aircooled6 at prodigy.net aircooled6 at prodigy.net
Mon Dec 12 23:15:29 EST 2005

After 3 years in my garage, my 64 Greenbrier (110/PG) took to the streets
again last weekend.  Only got pulled over once on the way to the gas station
at friday midnight (expired inspection sticker) and the nice officer looked
at the receipt for the tags that was 8 hours old and looked at the 2002
inspection sticker and said good luck with it, but be sure and get that
sticker tomorrow (I did).

I had to clean 40 years of Killeen TX area red dust off of every surface
(cant possibly ever get it all, its like red glue) and pulled the heads
which were replaced with a set of "gone through" late smoggers I had sitting
around. Did lots of cleaning/repainting to the sheetmetal and so forth.
Also needed new tires as it had been sitting for 10 years with only
occasional weekend drives.  Paint is pretty good - Cream color with a tan
Stripe-a nice non stock combo.

The engine was clean as a whistle inside, not even any carbon on the piston
tops.  It was supposedly rebuilt 15-20 years ago and not driven much. It
appears to have been true.  The stamped numbers (11) were still visible on
the piston tops.  Pretty nice!

Anyhow, runs good, still needs some carb synching and timing adjustments,
but meanwhile, a slowly increasingly loud growling sound is coming from
somewhere in the rear.  I cant tell yet if its axle bearing or transaxle
bearing, but its that kind of sound.  Both axle bearings have been opened
and cleaned and greased, one by me and the other by lclc's shop.  the one I
did looked OK inside, so Im getting a bad feeling about where this noise is
coming from.  I wont get a chance to get into it until wednesday, so Ill
know then.

Oh well, I got about 100 miles out of it before this noise cropped up, so Im
not too aggravated, but I may be looking for a cheap 3.55 transaxle soon! I
dont have the skills or the $$ to rebuild this one.

Anyhow, good news/bad news I guess!!  its my early Christmas present to me
from my wife.  She made me go out to the garage and stop doing inside stuff
for the last several weekends so I could get it going.

Thanks Dear!!

Everett Wilson
North Richland Hills TX
67 500 4 dr 110/pg/ac