<VV> Delphi costs (no Corvair... let's move to VV-Talk)

Jim Burkhard burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Tue Dec 13 23:43:21 EST 2005

This really oughta move to VV-Talk, but I've heard some
errant statements I ought to clear up a bit...
(see below)

and then Padgett wrote:
> This is where "creative accounting" comes into play. Pension Costs
> should *never* be included in a burdened rate. These are to be
> separately funded and not to be included in overhead. When a company
> starts playing with pension funds such as using them to bolster stock
> prices, someone used to go to jail.
>
> Padgett

Actually, no, this is where that old kids' game of
"Telephone" comes into play. Too many people repeating what
they heard from a reporter who heard it from another
reporter who heard it from a press release somewhere.

The all-in labor costs discussed do not include pensions per
se, but rather *retiree health care*. In the hourly labor
contracts are *extremely* generous very low co-pay medical
plans for hourly workers and hourly retirees that are much
better than what the salaried folk (and the rest of the
industry) get.  GM and Delphi have LOTS of retirees and
employees in retirement or near retirmeent age, so this is a
big issue and the expense gets factored into everything built.

Underfunded pension plans are a problem as well, but that is
a separate subject entirely....

JFB