Fwd: <VV> Re: "Flash the field/Not necessarily Corvair

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Fri Dec 16 11:30:34 EST 2005

In a message dated 12/15/2005 10:28:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
corvairduval at cox.net writes:

> just flash the field to
> reverse polarity.

Thanks for the memories of my old generator equiped cars.  Glad the
alternators have been here so long now.  In a coincidence, just a few weeks ago a
contractor was here doing a job for me with a trailer mounted compressor that
wouldn't start--dead battery.  I jumped it for him and heard him complain about it
being a piece of junk.  It died later and he borrowed my jumper cables again
to use his truck to jump it complaining that he had another bad alternator.  He
proceeded to "flash the field" on the compressor to "fix" the alternator like
his Dad had shown him years ago.  His boss called to ask if his guys were
done yet as they were late for another job and I told him about his employees
"flashing the field" to fix the alternator and that I had advised them they were
damaging or destroying the diodes--and that they didn't believe me.  The owner
said he'd be sure to tell them himself because now he knew why they kept
having so many problems with their "junk" compressors.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair