<VV> re: brake bleeding

mmcguire at hiwaay.net mmcguire at hiwaay.net
Fri Dec 16 20:30:41 EST 2005

Humm,

Brake bleeding.  Well, pressure bleeding is nessary on many ABS cars.  The
biggest thing I've noticed since using a bleeder instead of the pedal method is
extended master cylinder life.

I believe that crud and maybe even a little rust will form in the bore past the
normal seal travel.  Then when bleeding, you push the rubber seals over the
material and create damage/wear.

I've been using a Vacuula for about 10 years for non-abs cars.  I believe my
Benz requires 30 psi with the ABS.  Vacuula is so nice and simple, I do it more
often, because it's easy.

I've been using the Dot4+ fluid.  LMG or ATE.  ATE has a "blue" dyed fluid
which I can alternate so it's easy to see if the fluid has been throughly
flushed.  I buy a 1 liter can and throw away any that is remaining after
bleeding.

Michael