<VV> Re: Brake Bleeding

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Fri Dec 16 21:32:48 EST 2005

>I was just wondering...for those of you who have put
>completely new brake sets into your car ....lines,
>wheel cylinders...stuff like that...  How did you go
>about bleeing the system?  I can't imagine pumping the
>pedal THAT much...that's a lot of fluid to move!  Is
>there a pressure bleed system that I can use or
>something?
>Thoughts?  comments? ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>Ryan

One method that works to begin the process never seems to be mentioned,
but it really works: Fill the master cylinder. Open the bleeder screw
farthest from the master sylinder a few turns. Place contailer under
that open bleeder. Go away for a while and let gravity pull the brake
fluid through the lines. Check back often enought to keep the master
cylinder from running out of fluid. Then do each of the other three
bleeders. A slight touch up with a vacuum pump or second person to pump
and all is well. Not a method if you are in a hurry, but one to keep in
mind. It works for hard to bleed clutch master/ slave cylinders also.
Yes, you must leave the master cylinder cap off at least partially. You
can call it pressure bleeding at the atmospheric level.

Frank DuVal