<VV> Rebuild II

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Mon Dec 19 22:38:52 EST 2005

First, recall that the manual is written for experienced Chevy
mechanics, and unlike today's manuals often leave out or gloss over
steps.  Don't get frustrated if something seems a little vague.

Now, the meat of the question is you're building an engine from
scratch, so the usual procedures don't quite work.  What you're looking
for is the engine on TDC with both valves closed on #1.  Simple way is
to rotate the engine to TDC, then bring all the valves down to nearly
zero lash.  At that point it will be really obvious if you're on #1 or
#2 (the only two possibilities) - two of the adjusters will be about
the same, and two won't.  If you're on #1, great, follow the steps.  If
not, you're on #2, so adjust the appropriate valves and then turn the
crank one full turn to TDC again.  Now you're on #1.  I would add one
other thing - just bring the distributor clamp to snug, not tight,
since you're going to time the engine once it's running.  Good luck!
Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
   Corvairs: '61 Lakewood, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa