<VV>Sylvia/Mini

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Mon Dec 19 22:52:47 EST 2005

>Have you heard of the  "Mini"?
>Mechanical - Yes - Styling, No.  The transverse FWD powertrain was
>brilliant. The two-box look was sort of a squashed 30's Ford  Vicky!

Actually no. Not sure about the 1934 "Traction Avant" but the 1949 SAAB 92
had a transverse engine with FWD and innumerable motorcycles (and a few
earlier minicars) had used a similar design. That the original Mini was a
brilliant design ( I still have memories of hitting all three pedals with
one foot and lived with an MG 1100 for about a year). But the Mini was
really a "on the shoulders of giants" car and not really a breakthrough
other than in advertising and "box on box" styling.

Padgett