<VV> Re Sylvia/Mini/Saab NO CORVAIR

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Tue Dec 20 18:11:21 EST 2005

1st guy said: <snip> Not sure about the 1934 "Traction Avant" but the 1949
SAAB 92
had a transverse engine with FWD and innumerable motorcycles (and a few
earlier minicars) had used a similar design. <unsnip>

2nd guy replied: <snip>The Traction Avant had a longitudinal engine, with the
transaxle ahead of it. Its real claim to fame was the first, truly-modern,
unitized body. <unsnip>

And I chime in:  The 49 SAAB also had a longitudinal engine (with the fan and
radiator between the engine and the firewall).  The jackshaft that went front
to rear over the 3cyl flathead engine was the perfect place to grab when
lifting the engine out.  Just to make it handy, the hood came off with the
headlights and grille as a unit and as stated the radiator was at the backside of the
engine.  The first car I ever worked on was a 59 SAAB 93GT.  I think we fried
the engine three or four times just by driving a bit too far with the "city"
spark plugs installed.C. Nicol