<VV> Saabaru NO CORVAIR

Jim Burkhard burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Tue Dec 20 23:37:52 EST 2005

Bill-
I'm afraid John got it right, although your more esoteric
alteratives are probably more interesting!  The Saab 9-2X
Aero "Saabaru" is basically a very slightly up-trimmed but
de-boyracered Subaru WRX.  It's supposed to cost a few $K
more than the WRX, but sales were so absolutely dismal (a
few thousand for all of 2005 ... makes 69 Vair volume look
stout) last spring that they had a MAJOR fire sale for GM
employees and suppliers.

They were selling them to us (brandy new, order whatever you
want from the Saab USA supply, not just dealer stock) and
they starting at a bit over $17 for the turbo one.  Mine
wound up being a couple $K more because of options I wanted,
but it was still only about $20K, almost $11K under list, a
lot cheaper than the WRX. Hard to beat that for AWD and 14.5
psig boost / 227 hp. Gotta find a set of 16" OEM wheels,
though for snows ... the 17" 45 series Potenza RE01s that
are on it are definitely a poor choice for winter.

Jim Burkhard