<VV> Re: Poor running 140

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 21 16:19:08 EST 2005

BTW - Take off the air cleaner, rev the engine from the throttle linkage in
the engine compartment, cup your hand over the left carb so as to create a
suction.  Do this 3 or 4 times - remove your hand before the engine dies
each time.  Then see if it will idle normally.  If not, try the same thing
on the other side.  What you are trying to do here is clear any dirt
particles out of the carb passages.  If dirt is the problem, this should
temporarily fix it.  But the dirt is still in there and will likely clog
again - generally just after turning a corner or just after start up.

Where does the dirt come from?  Dirty tank?  OR - disintegrating accelerator
pump cups.  When a vair sits a while and the carbs go dry, the modern gas -
followed by exposure of the rubber cups to air - leads to them falling
apart.  So long as they stay wet (with gas), the problem does not occur.

If this does not work, perhaps you are in process of loosing a valve seat.

Later, JR