Fwd: <VV> Oil pushing up dipstick tube

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Thu Dec 22 11:47:05 EST 2005

In a message dated 12/21/2005 5:28:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
akinzelm at greatnortherncorp.com writes:

> I presume (if the rings haven't suddenly worn out) that she has a plugged
> breather tube and/or orifice on vacuum balance tube.  Could it be anything
> else?

On three daily drivers that I have purchased (and used daily) in the past I
had similar problems.  Each engine stopped pushing oil up the dipstick after I
cleaned both pieces of metal tubing for the breather.  The lower 90 degree
piece below the shroud that goes into the top cover had become plugged at the
bend in all engines.  One engine had so much viscous crud on the steel "breather
plate" under the top engine cover that I repaced that as well though I've
never seen another that was that bad.

As this seems to be a car that is used regularily I'd check the oil level (no
brainer I know) and then thoroughly clean both metal breather tubes.  Unless
the engine is really worn with tremendous blowby additional venting hasn't
been necessary for me.  Note:  The addition of high detergent engine oil
supplements (NOTHING that claims to restore compression) and frequent oil changes will
slowly soften and clean up rings, lifters and general deposits over time in
engines that are driven moderately.  I've used this method on two poorly
maintained Corvairs that had over 100K on them when we bought them and both made it
over 190K before something mechanical broke.  Even a worn engine will perform
decently if everything is clean, if there are no blockages to the cooling air
flow and if it is properly tuned up.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
'64 Brier