<VV> 500/Monza/Corsa shifter - shorter than some!

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu Dec 22 17:47:32 EST 2005

In a message dated 12/22/2005 1:58:25 PM Pacific Standard Time,
NicolCS at aol.com writes:
.
The shift lever specified for the 500/Monza is pn  3872870
The shift lever specified for the Corsa is pn 3872871

So my  conclusion is that GM never claimed any difference and all the GM
documentation supports the notion of no special 4-speed shifter for a Corsa.
Why don't you stir this in with what you have and see if we can find a
conclusion?

So Seth writes:

My take is that the Corsa 3-speed shifter (P/N 3872871 above) is  indeed a
Chrome 3-speed unit and that would be Corsa only. The P/N 3872870 is  the
painted 3-speed. I have never seen a Corsa 3-speed shifter, but that is  "Okay".
That same Assembly manual drawing calls out the tower as one for the  3-speed -
which is unique and requires a 3-speed lever.(Chrome or  painted) to work
correctly. (I have an NOS 3-speed tower in my hand  with the original P/N on it, it
is taller than any of the five 4-speed  towers- from Corsas and Monzas- that
I have sitting on my bench!)  Now  follow me here. If Mark got a hold of a
3-speed Chrome lever&housing from a  Corsa with a 3-speed, it could, indeed, have
provided him with a faster shifter,  since the three speed is a bit faster
than the 4-speed, which is why I use them!  That solves everybodys issues. All
late 4-speeds used the same exact shifter,  all 3-speeds used the same shifter
(mechanically) but the Corsa shifter was  chromed, making it "special". Hey
Mark what is the measured First gear to  Second gear shift ball travel in your
1969  Monsa? - (that's a Monza  converted to a Corsa) That will tell a lot. If
anybody is still  listening! - Seth