<VV> LM shifter data request

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Fri Dec 23 01:15:33 EST 2005

Well kids, it's time to collect some data.

Calling all 65 and 66 owners.  We need you to measure your shifter's stroke.

Here are the qualifications;
Car must have original unmodified shifter (any shift knob is OK)
Car must have original-type transmission
Original model must still be present i.e. no Corsaized Monzas or such
107xx vin = Corsa
105xx vin = Monza
101xx vin = 500

Please do not submit data for a car with a modified shifter! Please note if
you shifter is sloppy or tight.

I just did four cars, it took about 15 minutes to do all four.  Here's what
to do:

1) Shift the transmisison into 3rd (2nd if a 3-speed)
2) Let go of the shifter and measure the distance from the heater distributor
(in front of radio) to the rear of the shift knob.  You will have to eyeball
the rear of the shift knob to the tape.  I was laying on the seats so my eye
was low and able to do this well.
3) Record the distance to the heater.  It should be in the 16 to 20" range.
4) Shift the transmission to 4th (3rd if it's a 3-speed) and let go of the
shifter.
5) Measure the distance from the same point on the heater distributor to the
rear of the shift knob - same way as above.
6) Subtract the numbers to find the difference.

Please report the following
Year
Model
Transmission
3 to 4 shift distance.

Example:
66
Monza
Saginaw 4-speed
Good, tight shifter
3 1/8"

It would be great if we could get 25-30 responses.You can send your response
to the list or to me directly.
Thanks in advance.
Craig Nicol