<VV> Steering column interchangeability

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Dec 25 16:04:51 EST 2005

Steve writes:

Question:  can I use my stock Monza column (red) and slide the  shaft pieces
thru the stock column and ditch the column that came with the  quick box.
That would save me not only the price of painting the "new"  column but would
also save the hassle of the different footprints of the quick  vs. slow column
bolt pattern on the floor/firewall mounting  bracket.

Any and all advise/recommendations are  appreciated.

Steve. I am sure the shafts are different in diameter. The 65  shaft, like
the one-piece 64 shaft, is .625 (5/8") in diameter. The later shafts  are 3/4"
in diameter.  You might be able to take both apart and somehow  "make" the
correct column from parts, changing bearings and things. One problem  you might
run into is that the shaft is retained in the late 65/66 column  design, but in
the early design, the shaft floats (in and out) since it is solid  to the box.
 I have changed columns from the late into the early style. It  isn't as bad
as it may seem. The top retainer is totally interchangeable.  The bottom, as
you indicated, take a little bit of work, since the flange is  welded to the
column. Electrically, they are the same, even through 66 -  (although the colors
changed on much of the 66 wiring). You might be able to  trade your acquired
column for a red later style. There are lots around.  -  Seth Emerson