<VV> Torque Converters

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Wed Dec 28 10:18:41 EST 2005

>Highway mileage dropped from 27 mpg to 23 mpg when the lock up feature quit.

Doesn't really matter how you achieve it but for max MPG you want to be
turning a gasoline engine around 2000 rpm at 70 mpg for max mpg (just as a
side note, this was the subject of a 1973 paper I produced while a GMI
student that appeared to be ignored at the time). How you achieve it is not
particularly important but by locking the torque converter you also
eliminate some turbulence losses in the fluid.

When my Reatta (3800/4T60) locks up in top at 47 mph and the revs drop from
1800 to 1300 rpm, the instantaneous MPG jumps from 24 to 31 mpg on a level
road (having a MFD (multi-function display) in the dash is nice).

My understanding is that the Corvair torque converter turns counter
clockwise like some pre-2000 Hondas so might have to look there for a lockup.

Padgett