<VV> VV re: oil out of the dipstick tube

Geoffrey A Johnson geoffj at unm.edu
Wed Dec 28 11:14:35 EST 2005

I dont recall seeing this, but got the answer here before.  You can pull
the oil pan and break the extra protruding dipstick tube off inside the
engine at the level
of the crankcase
with a screwdriver.  This will put the base of the tube above oil level.
As Bob Helt pointed out GM extended the tube below oil level  to keep
crankcase fumes from coming up
the dipstick tube and getting into the cooling air that could make it to
the heater.  But with an older engine, I think you will get more fumes
from oil burning off the engine.  You can also drill a small hole at the
tube rather then snap
it off in the oilpan.  In a case like my converitble though, it would pour
oil out of the tube at 80.  This would pour over the engine and smoke us
out.  So breaking the tube off in the case solved it.  Also if it is an
earlier engine, putting a late dipstick in with the better seal will help.

-Geoff Johnson