<VV> Corvair alternaters

James Davis jld at wk.net
Wed Dec 28 12:22:01 EST 2005

Not a problem except if you use the amps the belt will wear faster.
The Ultra Van eats a belt in about 16,000 miles and the Rampside
every 30,000 miles.  I routinely draw 60 + amps for 8 hours or more
from the 120 amp alternator on my Ultra Van.  The inverter, powering
the ice maker (40 amps) and refrigerator (18 amps), the lights (9
amps), and charging the two 155 amp hour batteries (25 amps) require
that many amps.
  The Rampside has a 105 amp alternator and I draw 77 amps with the
A/C, gasoline heater, lights, and windshield wipers on.  For the
uninitiated, the reason you would operate this way is on a rainy
night with the temps in the 80's F; you need it all.  It does get
hot, humid, and dark in Kentucky in the summer. :-)
If you run the high amp alternators you need at least 4 ga wire for
the alternator to fuse block.  Fortunately Summit sells both 4 ga and
1 ga wires with fuses (100 amp and 200 amp) for the one wire
hookup.  By-the-way, you can get alternators rated up to 140 amps
that fit the 10/12 SI case.
Jim Davis