<VV> 140 Carb linkage

Andy Clark slowboat at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 28 12:37:13 EST 2005

Van, I've had good luck replacing all the rod joints in my '65 140 linkages
with small ball joints (Dorman P/N 115008). These are smaller than heims and
don't exhibit the interference problems. They also can be snapped apart when
working on the linkage system. I've only had luck using heims  when building
new linkage for a rotated-carb installation, where interference is not a
problem..
I duplicate the bends in the bodies of the stock linkage rods using 3/16
mild steel rod, but instead of the bends at the ends, I leave them straight
and cut 10-32 threads to mount the ball receivers. The "ball" part of the
joint mounts in the stock holes in the throttle shafts and secondary
actuation arms.
Once adjusted, the linkage stays put. There is also much less slack, so
adjustment and carb synchronization is easier.The only stock end I usually
retain is the sliding one for secondary actuation, which seems to work just
fine.

HTH.
Andy Clark
Camano Island, WA.