<VV> 110 engine bent and broken pushrod

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Thu Dec 29 00:10:58 EST 2005

I would replace the adjacent pushrod and check the tubes for damage (bends).
I had a pushrod fail (my fault) on the way to the convention.  I replaced it.
 The neighboring pushrod was damaged (not obvious) when the first one broke.
Later it failed, damaging the newly replaced first one.  If I had replaced the
pair, the subsequent failrures wouldn't have happened. Check the pushrod
tubes, they are frequently bent when the pushrods bend and break.
Craig (been there) Nicol

<snip>
Corvair Comrades;
In the continuing (but now, perhaps winding down) saga of the rebuilt 110
engine I installed in my '62 700 sedan, I've discovered a bent pushrod for the #5
intake valve. (Went looking when I found the #5 cylinder to be dead.) When I
grasped the end of the damaged pushrod to pull it out of the tube, about an
inch of the pushrod broke off. It appears to have broken at a factory weld. I
could see no damage to any other parts. I have no idea what might have caused it
to break. I bought this engine from an individual who sold it as completely
rebuilt with about 10K miles on it. Unfortunately, the engine sat for the
better part of two years, or maybe longer, before I installed it. At any rate, I
have replaced the broken pushrod and cycled the valve by turning the engine over
by hand, and there appears to be nothing binding or not operating as it
should. Anything else I should do before I fire the engine again?
Regards, Richard Burger   <unsnip>