<VV> 110 engine bent and broken pushrod

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Thu Dec 29 01:06:55 EST 2005

In a message dated 12/28/05 5:25:35 PM Pacific Standard Time,
rcbmc at bentonrea.com writes:

> When I grasped the end of the damaged pushrod to pull it out of the tube,
> about an inch of the pushrod broke off. It appears to have broken at a factory
> weld. I could see no damage to any other parts. I have no idea what might
> have caused it to break.

Richard,
That is a strange failure and probably is metal fatigue or something like the
lack of hardening. There should be no welds like that on a stock pushrod. The
only explanation that I can think of would be that the tip of the pushrod
wasn't hardened properly and it wore where it fits thru the guide, finally just
wearing all the way thru. Bent pushrods are usually due to one or both of the
following causes. A lifter cranked all the way down or a stuck valve (in the
guide).
Regards,
Bob Helt