<VV> Leaning Out the Midrange (Long and Boring)

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Thu Dec 29 01:28:17 EST 2005

In a message dated 12/27/05 7:19:53 PM Pacific Standard Time,
brentcovey at hotmail.com writes:

> That car should be at least as easy to propel as the orginal badly aligned
> bias ply tire new Corvair was and a regular 110/Powerglide/3.27 gets around
> 18-20 in town and 26-28 on the highway.

All,
While I highly respect Brent and appreciate his sharing Corvair knowledge
with us all, I have to be critical of these gas mileage figures. They are just
unrealistically too high!. Chevrolet's own data place mileage figures closer to
20 MPG at 60 mph for a 110 hp MT w/3.27.  A PG would be worse. And none of the
car test mags ever got mileage this high (as Brent's). The Corvair was always
known for its sweet handling and sporty performance, but as for gas
mileage......it was always ranked as poor to moderate by them.

Regards,
Bob Helt