<VV> Which way??

Jim Bannister jimster1 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 29 04:26:46 EST 2005

Fellow Airvarians,

I'm in the process of getting the moveable part of a LM center A\C vent
rechromed.  This piece has little vanes that deflect the air slightly in one
direction.  The question is: do they bias the air in the driver's or
passenger's direction?  My center vent came in pieces so I have no way to
know how it is PC (prototypically correct) I could care less about the
political side of PC.

I've gathered some knowledge about the rechrome process.  When the guy at
the chrome shop looked at the piece he said that he couldn't make much of an
improvement.  My piece was pretty crusty with lotsa pits 'n pimples.  He
explained that each pimple in the chrome was actually a small divot in the
metal below.  Not much he could do, he said.  I asked him if I could prep
the piece. Eureka!!! The holy grail of rechroming.  Do it yourself prep.  He
offered to strip the old chrome and then let me do the clean up.  I've been
filing and sanding for some hours now and the piece is looking quite
presentable.  I'll finish off on the buffing wheel, it shows every
imperfection.  When I'm done, he should be able to lay down a pretty smooth
layer of chrome.  We'll see.  The saga continues at a later date.  It looks
to me that if you can find an accommodating chrome shop, it will be possible
to salvage parts that otherwise would not be practical to redo.

Jim B.

'66 Turbovert