<VV> HiPo Alternators

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts at aol.com
Thu Dec 29 13:53:31 EST 2005

I ran a 63 amp alternator, and had the lighting load to need it. I had OK
belt life. They lasted about 6 months, which given the 7000 RPM redlines I'd
shift at, was pretty good. With a lighting load of something like 40 amps! Yes,
they were VERY bright... <G>

In a message dated 12/29/2005 10:58:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
BobHelt at aol.com writes:

> So  the bottom line seems to be that a 55 or 63 amp alternator will work
>  fine on a Corvair and there will be no fan belt issues so long as you
never
> try to pull more than about 45 amps.

Padgett,
How can you  conclude this when Jim Davis is pulling much greater currents
and
getting  acceptable belt life?

Regards,