<VV> Re: Belt Slippage

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Fri Dec 30 00:54:18 EST 2005

[Craig said:]Slippage  would be even worse at lower rpm.   I'm going to try
this
again  someday with a brand-new belt to see if the results  change.

[Fraink said:] In actual experience, a glazed belt will alow more power
throughput at lower RPM

[Craig replies:]
I don't claim to be an ex-pert (or even a current one) but as I understand
things with certain loads "on" and a certain battery charge, the car's
electrical system will demand a given amount of current.  Knowing system voltage is
14ish, that means so many watts (aka horsepower) is needed.  At a given rpm, say
3000, that horsepower requires a certain torque on the alternator.  At lower
speeds, the alternator field current is increased in order to maintain the
output current.  Thus, at 1500 rpm, the torque (belt load) will be doubled
compared to 3000 rpm.  I guess it's possible that a glazed belt might save itself by
slipping but I've never experienced that.

Craig (puzzled) Nicol