<VV> Chroming pot metal

mmcguire at hiwaay.net mmcguire at hiwaay.net
Fri Dec 30 11:10:30 EST 2005

I've always seen books show graves plating in Alabama as a reference.

When I started my restoration and had high hopes for reasonable completion.
Graves wanted a fortune for my bumpers- maybe $500 each and it didn't matter
how nice they were before plating.  That didn't make any sense because mine
were very respectible, but not nice for a newly painted car.

I did some searching and used Tri-city plating in Elizabeth town Tn (??  I
think that's correct).  They were more $150 (but this has been sometime).  They
worked the minor dents, double plated with copper, polished, nickel, then I
believe double with chrome.  They are very nice, but on the edge/backside on
one there is some plating remenance which might not be on an absolutely perfect
bumper.  Finish was awesome,but I've never looked closely at the corvair
showcars to know.
They do pot metal, I was very happy with everything except the grill bar.  It
had some contour polished off.  Looks nicer than NOS, but not perfect.  I did
lots of the small trim.  Plus the big fwd LM door vent pieces, Latching places
on for the top,etc..

Hey- it's been my big secret!

Michael