<VV> Still, one wire alternator problem

JCBAHRET52@aol.com JCBAHRET52@aol.com
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:26:26 EST

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my "current" drain problem. This
Corvair group just cannot be matched for overall knowledge and willingness to
help.
Based on the follow up questions, I'll add some more info:
First thing I did was to see if the alternator was even working. Started  the
car and under idle and with a nearly 100 percent charged new battery, I was
reading 15 volts. OK.
I next disconnected everything off the + side of the battery. I connected  my
12 volt test light in series with the one wire cable and the + battery post.
There was enough current flow that the bulb element had the slightest red
glow. Then to find out how much the current was, I placed a 1.0 ohm resister in
line between the one wire cable and the + battery post. Then I measured the
voltage across this resister. It measured 1.25 volts. If I remember my Ohms
Law  formula correctly, this equates to 1.25 amps. A lot, Bad.
I don't know much about these alternators, but there must be something
inside the unit which is making the circuit with the ground. Any ideas?
thanks again Guys ( & Gals)
Jeff Bahret