<VV> Car archaeology

Levair@aol.com Levair@aol.com
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 14:10:00 EST

all,

I am about ready to present the Bill Thomas/Doug Roe 1960 competition Corvair
at the Feb 26 Performace workshop in Dayton, OH..
   I feel like an archaelogist digging up bones to find out things about this
car. Every new bone makes me wonder what this or that alteration meant.
   To refresh your memory, the car was featured in March 1969 Hot Rod and in
the back of the Bill Fisher " How to Hot Rod Corvairs. It was also featured in
the Hugh MacInnes 'How to select and install Turbochargers.
   The Cactus Corvair club did an extensive restoration on this car for the
1987 Montery Historics.
  I would appreciate any information or stories about this car even if you
think that it is insignificant. I visitied with Doug Roe in Monterey in '87, but
was probably too awe struck to ask the right questions.
   I have extensive documentation and direct mechanical evidence(bones) .
What I need is interesting anecdotes.
   I am especially interested in what happened (if anything) between 1972 and
1986 and between 1988 and 2003.
   My mechanical restoration ( I received it as a rolling shell)  will be to
the March 1969 Hot Rod articles plus absolutely necessary updates to make it
legal for the track.
   Please help. Time is of the essence.
Warren LeVeque
4657 No. St. Rd 9