<VV> Can't get turbo to run right.

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Tue, 01 Feb 2005 13:30:18 -0800

At 01:18 hours 02/01/2005 -0800, Derek Archer wrote:
>I have a '64 Spyder coupe and am having problems getting the idle speed
>and mixture adjusted right. The main problem is that if it idles (850
>rpm when hot, choke wide open) for more than about 1 minute, if you
>blip the throttle (not stomp it) and rev it to maybe 2500 rpm for a
>split second, when it comes back down, it will sputter and die and not
>want to start again, almost as if it is flooded. I have tried fiddling
>with the idle speed and mixture, but just can't seem to get the
>combination right all-around. I know that turbo carbs tend to run a
>little rich, but I think mine may be a bit beyond "a little".

When the car is parked on a slope to the left...  as in parking on the
opposite side of the street...  anything to lean it to the left slightly...
do you ever notice gasoline dripping out of the air cleaner housing onto
the shroud in the vicinity of the area between the #5 and 6 sparkplug?
If so, it confirms that the carb is loading up during idle due to high
float levels, flooding the intake.   Blip the throttle and the engine gulps
a boatload of fuel and gags, stalls.   Upon restart it usually spits out a
puff of black smoke.

There may or may not be dripping.   The carb can load up and float levels
climb to the ragged edge and gag the engine out after a bit of idling.
Seems turbo carbs tend to be susceptible to this sort of thing.    Check
for black smoke out the tail pipe and sooty plugs.

Then, if any of these symptoms are confirmed, look into one of the fuel
pressure regulators the vendors sell.

tony..