<VV> re: Thomas/Roe archeology I

Ed Connolly corvair@earthlink.net
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 18:58:28 -0500

Hi Warren,
Thought it would be a good idea to post my answer, so the group can add to
the record. As you know, I bought the car from Doug in 1981 as a bare shell:
no mechanical or suspension components whatsoever, except the original rear
crossmember with aluminum mounting bushings, the 15-in. American Racing
(heavy!)magnesium wheels, and the fabricated rear motor mount. Doug told me
he had not raced it since 1971 or '72. An old friend of his who lived in NY
State delivered the shell from Arizona to New Jersey, where it was grit
blasted and cosmetically restored. I took a job in San Francisco in 1983,
and the restored shell was maneuvered into the middle of a Bekins van for
the cross-country move. I kept it in the garage at my first house in Palo
Alto, before renting space in a vintage-racing facility in Santa Clara.
While parts were accumulated, I intensively researched and documented the
fabulous history of the car, which you have and to which you are undoubtedly
adding the most-renown chapter yet. For example, you have the letter from
Paul Prior, who with Vince Piggins headed the GM factory racing program
during the 1960's, documenting the relationship with Bill Thomas who built
the car under contract with the program (it was constructed and raced by
Mike Jones, who worked for Bill). Mike has had a brilliant career, was a
fine host and was very kind to part with his collection of professional B&W
photos of the car in West Coast sedan races. BTW, Mike in the Corvair
out-qualified Jimmy Clark at a sedan race in Oregon, who was driving a
factory Lotus Cortina, but the Corvair broke a piston during the race. We
should tell the group that your car started life as the one and only Bill
Thomas racer, as pictured and described in How to Hotrod Corvair Engines and
dozens of magazines, including Hot Rod. Much of the publicity resulted from
the efforts of Betty Skelton, who was an executive on the Chevrolet account
at Campbell Ewald agency, as her letter documents.  The car has always been
a racer since new after Bill's wife drove it in stock form for two weeks.
Doug transferred from Rochester Div. to Prior's performance program in the
very early '60's, bought the car from Thomas circa 1964, and accelerated its
development on his own.  BTW, to my knowledge Doug prepared and raced three
early Corvairs: yours, his original white 1960 also pictured in the Fisher
book, and a blue off-road rally car I saw in his shop, which had a
retractable fifth wheel in case of a flat.  More in next email....

Ed Connolly
Wallkill, NY
'61 3-liter 140 turbo