<VV> yellow head lights

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson@atlas.co.uk
Wed Feb 2 20:42:08 EST 2005

Dave Morris wrote:

> When I lived in Europe, I believe the rationale for the yellow headlights
> was that it "cut through fog" better or something like that.

It does. I ran yellow lights on my 1956 Ford for many years, because I lived
in the valley of the River Thames near London, and it is a very fog-bound
area. When it was foggy, the yellow beams used to cut through the fog like
yellow pencil beams, whereas the white ones just became diffused and fuzzy.

However, I am 99% certain that this wasn't the rationale behind the French
government's decision - I have always understood that this was because it
was less dazzling to oncoming drivers, because the yellow light was gentler
on the eyes.

Certainly, all the English people I know who were stopped in France for
running white lights had been told by the police that it was dangerous to
other road users.

However, the one big drawback was that although yellow light actually is
much easier on your eyes than white is (see above), and it gives a lovely,
warm, pretty light...

...it also has the effect of making me (and I think a lot of others!)
*REALLY* sleepy!

Cheers

Alan