<VV> Brake drums for my '65 Corsa

Jim Bannister jimster1@earthlink.net
Thu Feb 3 04:42:39 EST 2005

Ken,
Instead of going to all the trouble of converting back plates, drums etc.,
have you checked out the Finned aluminum drums that came on many mid 80's
car from the General?  If you fish around the www.corvair.org/ web site you
should find a list of cars that carried the beloved Aluminum drums.  The
fronts are fairly plentiful as they were offered on many cars.  The rears
are more problematic as they were offered on only a couple of cars. They
look gorgeous through open wheels.
Jim B

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org [mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]
On Behalf Of kenfran@comcast.net
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 7:39 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Brake drums for my '65 Corsa

I am planning to use 16 inch wheels on my 1965 Corsa and am wondering if I
could substitute drums, etc. from 14, 15, or 16 inch wheeled cars with the
same bolt pattern. Are any suspension parts going to interfere? The larger
drums should give me better stopping power, and I think this would be
sufficient without converting to disc brakes.I know there are plenty of
14-inch choices, from Camaros, etc.and I figure these would be less likely
to interfere with other parts.  Anyone have any experience converting drum
sizes on a late?
Also, I found through the Corvair Technical Index
(http://www.mkellstrand.com/corvairs/resources/techindex/techindex.html)
that there are articles about drum choices on the Communique:
 The Best Brake Drums for Late Model Corvairs, CC V5N5 (January 83), 13
 Install Larger Front Drum Brakes (late model), CC V5N5 (January 83), 13
If anyone could get me copies of those articles I would be grateful.

Ken Franson
1966 Monza 4-door auto
1965 Corsa
Member CORSA, Arkansas CC