<VV> Turbo Electric Choke adjustment

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324@aol.com
Thu Feb 3 19:18:53 EST 2005

Hi Derek,

First, your engine WILL run richer when the choke is "on."  That is how
chokes work along with a faster idle.  Harley calls theirs an "enrichener" instead
of a choke.

Second, the turbo carbs don't have a pull-off like the HVs have to help kick
down the fast idle.  I believe that this is accomplished in the turbo carb
only by the bimetallic element.

Third, you can adjust the "start point" of your choke when cold by loosening
the hold down screws and turning the cover.  There should be an indication on
the cover that tells you which way to turn it.  If the adjustment holds the
choke closed strongly when cold, it will take longer for the choke to come off
while the bimetallic element warms up.  If the adjustment barely holds the
choke closed when cold, it will come off sooner.  The adjustment process will be
trial and error but you will get it eventually.  Keep in mind that you don't
want the choke to come off too soon or you will have stalling problems until the
engine is fully warm.

The process is pretty much the same with electric or stock chokes.  The main
difference is that one uses electricity as the heat source and the other uses
exhaust gas.

Good luck,
Doc
Message: 8