<VV> Communique

Roger Gault r.gault@sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 3 03:33:05 EST 2005

OK, I can't stand the thought of being the only one who hasn't chimed in on
this.  ;-)

I doubt that many folks are sending in their $35 each year to get the
Communique.  I know I'm not.  It's not that great.  My reason for being a
CORSA member is that you guys shamed me into it on the list.  It seems wrong
to get so much enjoyment from the hobby and not support its major focal
point.  Having said that, it would certainly be a draw for the magazine to
be more interesting.

It seems to me that what I perceive to be the shortcomings of the magazine
are sort of self-generating.  I'd like to see more "how to" articals.
Occasionally, I think I'll write one.  But there aren't very many in the
magazine, so is seems as if the editorial staff isn't interested in them, so
it's hard to get motivated.  For example, a couple of years ago I was
rebuilding the turn signal switch in my '65 tele column.  I was taking
pictures to do a short artical on how to bend the silly little springy
contacts to make it work right.  Unfortunately, I had a minor heart attack
in the middle of the job and had to slap the column back together and go to
the ER.  So, I don't have all the pics I need.  I'd open it back up, take
the pics, and do the artical, but, as I said, the magazine doesn't seem
pointed in that direction.  Outside of the tiny Tech Tips section, who's
very name implies short, quick articals, the focus is on non-technical
areas.  I went through the feature articals from 2004 and made up some
categories:

  History:  7
  "Me and My Car": 6
  General articals about racing: 3
  BOD candidates: 1
  Book review: 1
  Convention: 1
  Construction Overview: 1
  Articals with enough detailed content to help the reader repair, restore
or modify his or her car  -  0

I'd be greatly suprised if the great majority of the membership isn't
actively involved in restoring, improving, or racing their cars.  It seems
unlikely that most of us would be un-interested in more technical content.

Maybe we just need a "Call for Papers".  How about it Harry, does CORSA want
more technical content?  How about a list of things you'd like to see
articals on.  I'll bet a lot of folks would respond if asked.

Roger Gault

BTW:  I see all this talk about how we're aging out of existance.  Sneak
over there to that "other" forum (Corvair Center) and look at the thread on
"How Old Are You" back in January.  The largest group was 31-40, and the
average was about 46.  There are more kids in this hobby than us old farts
think.