<VV> Corsa Membership

vairologist at juno.com vairologist@juno.com
Fri Feb 4 08:05:31 EST 2005

Smitty says:  I hate to even comment on this subject because I believe
one should not complain unless they have a solution.  In this case here,
I don't believe there is a solution, for various reasons.  A big reason
is that most of the potential members have already been contacted and
made aware of us.  They have their minds made up and with few exceptions
are not going to join.  They may live in an area isolated from other
Corvair owners.  They know about Clarks and the Underground for parts and
do real well without the organization.  They take their car out for a
small town parade or cruise in a few times a year and are satisfied with
that much involvement.  Tell them about the insurance advantage of
joining CORSA and they will look at you as thought you were strange( I
won't go there).  Insurance for a moving event holds no interest for
them.  As for how much fun the GWFBT was this year, they don't care
because they will never be within 2,000 miles of the place anyway.
People are getting old and dieing.  Yes their cars will end up in the
hands of younger people.  People as enthusiastic that really want to
enjoy their cars?  NO. They are buying museum pieces and hope all other
vairs will rot away so theirs become more valuable.  The market is
shrinking and the best we can do is hang in there and enjoy it while we
can.  I know I will try as long as I can.  Do I sound like a defeatest?
Not really.  A Realist.  I have been up in front and working for
membership in my own club for30 years.  Going face to face with people,
making calls, promoting the advantages.  There are about a half dozen
people a year that contact me that bought a Vair or want to buy one or
are looking for a part or advise.  They want someone to build an engine
for them or give them a transmission and even if they get what they want
they are soon gone never to be seen again.  I am not paying them to be my
friend.  If a person can't gain members in a one-on-one situation then
working for members for a big faceless National club is a hard sell.
        One small thing that could help the budget.  This is the age of
communication.  I can sit right here and talk to 500 people.  There are
conference calls, instant email and CCemail for communication.  The idea
of paying for board members a flight and hotel rooms just so they can sit
down face to face is a misuse of funds to me.
        If the communique got a feature piece from half you whiners out
there once a year they could never handle the load.  I used to write
fairly often but I have to admit my nose is out of joint.  I submitted
two pieces for the magazine, one of which I thought was a real feel good
piece concerning another marque collectors admiration for our car with
picture.  One was a tech piece.  Did you enjoy them.  No they didn't get
printed.  It's not that I think my writing is of any special value but it
makes me wonder how many other peoples efforts are also falling by the
wayside.  So what is it?  are they getting too much or not enough?  I
sincerely apologize for the length of this rant