<VV> Corsa Membership

Dave Morris BigD@DaveMorris.com
Fri Feb 4 17:31:17 EST 2005

Since I'm a brand new member of Corsa, I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents
worth as well.

I joined Corsa because it's the thing you do when you want to support a
particular hobby.  But I'm not a "joiner", and my time is very limited, so
I don't usually go to a lot of meetings and get involved in a lot of
committees and things like that.  I look for highly concentrated sources of
information, and when I become an expert in a particular area, I write
articles to give back to the group that helped me.  My membership in
organizations representing my hobbies has come and gone over the years, and
I don't necessarily remain my memberships in a stable and consistent
manner, because my activities in my hobbies waxes and wanes.

1. On membership loss:  Losing 300 out of over 5,000 members isn't so
bad.  I'll bet most organizations grow and shrink like that
occasionally.  In the case of the Confederate Air Force, now Commemorative
Air Force, a lot of it had to do with the age of their members.  World War
II veterans are dying at an escalating rate.  So, too, probably people who
like the styling of a 1960's car may not be the most stable population of all.

2. On the Communique:  You may be surprised at this, but I actually thought
it was well designed.  I get newsletters from several other organizations,
and it's really not bad for the size membership you have.  What I
personally would like to see would be technical articles more than social
articles, but that's just my perspective.  We have to realize that some
people are in Corsa for the autocross, some are in it for the social
gatherings, some are in it for the technical assistance, and some are in it
just to help promote the brand.  Ideally, the magazine should cater to all
of them.  But it should also be realized that many organizations are
converting their publication over to an Internet medium.  It is
phenomenally cheaper to create and distribute a PDF file containing the
magazine contents than it is to print it and ship it.  All that money can
then be spent on other things.

Dave Morris
Corvaircraft, and a 66 Corsa Turbo convertible being restored