<VV> Communique, dues, membership

Ken Wildman k-wildman@onu.edu
Sat Feb 5 00:10:47 EST 2005

At 05:19 PM 2/4/2005, Dennis & Debbie Pleau wrote:
>I disagree as a BoD member, I've kept all the mails of the last couple of
>days, another BoD member has forwarded many of them to the whole board.  I
>think we will be taking a long hard look at what people have been saying.
>
>Dennis Pleau
>
>CORSA Western Division Director

Is that an invitation for everyone to comment on the topic, so that the
handful of complaints don't push changes in directions that might not
appeal to the majority?

The Communique:  1)  I like it.  There's a good balance of articles on the
wide variety of Corvair topics.  I'm more interested in some than in
others, but I think all interests should be represented.  I'm on the
publication committee of an entirely different group, and we hear the same
complaints from a small minority.   "Too much stuff that interests other
people, and not enough of the GOOD stuff that I like".   You increase the
appeal of the club by catering to ALL interests, not just those of a few.

2.  E-mail delivery as an OPTION is ok and could save some money, but the
suggestion that folks who like the feel of the printed magazine in their
hands should be penalized is absurd.  The Communique, as a nicely published
magazine, is a great recruiting tool.  I always have a few copies on the
seat when I'm showing one of my vairs.  I'm not going to put my laptop out
there for someone to walk off with, and a member-restricted electronic
distribution will eliminate this recruitment tool.  This is not some
Luddite expression of refusal to "get modern", it's a personal preference
to have, hold, save, and display old copies.

3.  The other issues raised all seem to be in the "let George do it"
vein.  Lots of suggestions have been made about how someone else should be
doing various things.  The fact is that those who wish to volunteer, or to
contribute, are already doing it.  The call for more volunteers seems to be
coming from those who don't.

4.  Can the Communiqe be improved?  Sure.  It's an evolving
situation.  Tastes change, contributions change, there is always room for
improvement -- but we should acknowledge that Mike and Harry do a terrific
job with the magazine.

If you happen to think that a specific topic needs more coverage, then get
busy and write an article.  Don't wait for George to do it.

BTW, my first candidate for the centerfold is Harry, our wee black doggie,
who may be the first canine member of CORSA.  We even have a VV CORSA
Convention nametag to prove it.     :)

Always arm-wrestling with my wife over who gets to read the Communiqe first,

Ken