<VV> Corsa Membership vs. Local Club Membership (long)

Russ Moorhouse corvair65@verizon.net
Sat Feb 5 02:38:00 EST 2005

Being a relative newbie to Corvairs (about a year and a half), I have to ask
if anyone has considered the relationship of membership in local CORSA
supported clubs to that of CORSA itself.  Are the local clubs losing members
at the same ratio as CORSA.

Based on my experience alone, I've been a little disappointed in both the
local clubs in my area and with CORSA.  I joined my local club, just a few
days after getting my first and only Corvair.  They were having a show at a
local Chevy dealer in Sept 2003.  I went there to look at other Corvairs and
talk with other owners of Corvairs, plus they claimed to be having a tech
session, which I was interested in.  It was raining that day so very few
Corvairs were there to look at.  I did talk to a couple of people who looked
the car over and offered a couple of tips, but not what I was expecting a
tech session to be.  I had visions of putting a car on a rack at the
dealership and having someone knowledgeable look over the whole car and
point out things that needed to be attended to immediately.  The one person
who fit the description was an ex-factory trained mechanic, and all he did
was walk over, looked at the engine and say "Yep, that's a Corvair engine"
and walk off.

I joined the club anyway, hoping that at future meets there would be more of
a tech session.  There hasn't been.  I was hoping the club would have a
cache of special tools for members to use when working on their Corvair, but
none were ever mentioned. In fact there haven't been anymore shows.  There
have been a couple of tours, but from what I understand only a few Corvairs
have shown up.  I've inquired of other clubs in the area, as to whether or
not they were more active in working on Corvairs or more of just a social
clubs and the answer from each one was: social.  So for all intents and
purposes, there's no reason for me to belong to a local club.  Sure I have
had help and suggestions from some of the my clubs members, but it all came
via Virtual Vairs.

The same can be said for CORSA.  I joined CORSA, more out of feeling I
should support it.  I was hoping that the vendors might offer special
discounts to members or have member only sales, but I don't see any of that.
A large number of the articles I've read in the Communiqui, I have already
read in VV.  In fact even some of the tech articles that appear in the
Communiqui, are right out of VV.

>From reading Communiqui, I have found that there are some very active
Corvair clubs out there.  Some of these have even built buildings to work on
their Corvairs and hold their meetings.  I also see that where area local
clubs that get together and hold mini-conventions. I would love to see this
take place in my area.  I would just like to go to a Corvair clubs function
and see more than 5 to 10 Corvairs there.

>From most indications I have seen in my brief Corvair experience, the local
clubs are getting smaller, some of it from their own doing and some from
older members getting out of Corvairs, for one reason or another.  If local
clubs membership are dwindling, it stands to reason CORSA will feel the
affects in loss of membership also.  Many Corvair owners are reaching or
have reached the retirement age, myself included.  When you retire, you need
to weigh your priorities as to what you spend your money on.  With VV, most
of what your getting in the Communiqui is already there, so why spend $35,
when that is all you get for it.  That's $35 that you can spend on your
Corvair!

What can local clubs do to attract new members?  BE MORE VISIBLE - Have more
shows and attend other non-Corvair car club shows with a show of force, not
2 or 3 cars.  You need to get younger people interested in the car.  At
these shows, offer to take people for a ride in your car or even run them
through an autocross track if you have one available, just be gentle.
Provide more technical, hands-on support to new members.  Sure, these cars
are old hat to you, but to a newbie, this is a strange new animal, like
nothing they may have ever worked on before. VV is a great help, but there
is nothing like having someone there to show you a shortcut or better way of
doing something.  There's still a lot of younger people out there that have
memories of a relatives that had Corvairs.  You need to attract them and
their children.

What can CORSA do?  For one thing if local clubs increase in membership, I
would suspect that CORSA would also see an increase.  DON'T make VV
available to club members only.  This would be preaching to the choir only.
VV is a great source of information to anyone just getting started in
Corvairs; why shut them out.  It was the main reason for me eventually
joining CORSA, just so this forum would continue to exist.  It took me over
a year to join, just because my money was going to fix the car first.  The
Communiqui is a great magazine, but as I said before a lot of it is a
re-hash of what has been on VV already.  If it is a big drain on the budget,
perhaps it would be cost effective to produce it bi-monthly or quarterly
instead.  Another approach would be to determine how many people would be
willing to accept an electronic copy (PDF) instead.  As an incentive to
members, offer members onlyal sales or discounts with the vendors a couple
of times a year.  This would be beneficial for both members and vendors.

As for me, I will continue to support my local club, in hopes it will get
better and I will continue to support CORSA, at least until  retirement,
then I will have to re-address my financial priorities.

Russ Moorhouse
'65 Corsa coupe 140 HP
Corsa Member
Kent Island, MD