<VV> CORSA Membership

Bryan Blackwell bryan@skiblack.com
Sat Feb 5 03:32:54 EST 2005

On Feb 3, 2005, at 9:48 PM, SPYDER62@aol.com wrote:

>  Well, without CORSA footing the bill Virtual Vairs would be history
> then
> what?

Since I have some involvement here I'd like to respond to this,
especially for the benefit of any BOD members who might think this is a
good idea.

VV was started by a CORSA member, at no expense to the organization.
Eventually I (also a CORSA member) picked up the list and put it on a
server, again at no cost.  That was status quo for some time.
Eventually we moved to a dedicated server of our own, which houses the
CORSA web site, all the corvair.org lists (BOD list, e-mail aliases,
Corvanatics, etc) and the chapter websites on corvair.org.  It also
houses VV.  I provided the hardware, and VV members (I believe all of
these are also CORSA members) donated enough money to cover something
over a year's worth of the recurring costs.  Since then CORSA has
covered the recurring costs, now $850/year.

About a year ago, VV members donated money for a new server (again
mostly CORSA members) I've built that's about to go into service which
will support some additional functionality.  In fact I'll be doing some
work on it this weekend, so there will be some (hopefully) short
outages.

The only condition of corvair.org being housed on the same box (and
thus getting my labor for free) is that VV is a free service available
to anyone who cares to subscribe.  I am about to send the bill for last
year to CORSA.  If there is some consensus that VV should be restricted
to CORSA members because CORSA covers those recurring costs, then I
won't send the bill.  Simple as that.  I do not mean, BTW, to start
some huge thread here.  If you are of this opinion, then send your mail
to vairorg@corvair.org and Matt can keep track of the votes (sorry Matt
:-).  If you're happy with a free VV, then see the next paragraph :-)

However, to the "everything should be free" crowd, I will point out
that without *CORSA*, the organization, there would be no VV.  Not only
did CORSA members, by and large, get VV moving, almost all of the
regulars that answer questions are CORSA members.  So, if you want to
support VV, then join CORSA.  Take a look at how much your local
chapter might pay for e-mail addresses, web space (with a significant
amount of storage), a list (without ads or spam), etc.  If that's worth
something to you, get your chapter website, then join CORSA at
https://secure.corvair.org/corsa/secure/csgnupfm.html

--
Bryan Blackwell bryan@skiblack.com
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/